Over thermometer is essential for reliable and consistent results with recipes. The temperature reading shown by most ovens are not accurate. You may set your oven at 350 degrees, and it may show the internal temperature is at 350 degrees, but your oven is more likely giving you false information. In some cases, it might be off by 10 degrees, but in some cases they are off by more than 50 degrees. The reason for the incorrect temperature is because an oven’s internal thermometer only measure the temperature of the location where it is installed, which is necessarily in an out-of-the-way spot in the back, front, or side of the oven box. But these areas can be subject to hot spots or drafts that make their temperatures differ from the center of the oven. Hence for accurate reading you need to have a good oven thermometer that can give you right temperature where your food is been cooked.
It is important that your food is not under cooked as many harmful microorganisms and parasites survive in food if it is not cooked thoroughly. The only way to deliver properly cooked meat, which is neither under cooked or over cooked and to protect you against the food borne diseases is to take temperature with a oven thermometer. If you hate apologizing for overcooked meat or having to take chicken off your guests’ plates and sticking it in the microwave, then you’ve got to get a good oven thermometer.
Tips for using Oven Thermometers
- Before turning your oven on, pop your oven thermometer on a shelf or hang it from a shelf
- Close the door of oven and make sure you can see it from outside – you don’t want to keep opening the door to check temperature and causing heat to come out
- Turn your oven on, then when you think it’s at the right temperature, take a peak at the thermometer to check it’s right before you start cooking
- Always remember that your thermometer will get very hot so use an oven glove if you need to handle it
Best Oven Thermometers in UK
This probe thermometer works equally well for oven cooking and for outside bbq and grilling. The wire lead is long enough for the probe to be left in your meat and the oven door to be closed on it without damaging the seal. A pot lid can close on the wire, and the lid to your griller or smoker can also be closed securely on the wire. No heat will escape. Now there’s no need to open the oven and check. You can use the touchscreen to select the type of meat you want to cook. Choices are turkey, chicken, lamb, ham, beef veal and fish. Then you can select how well done you want the meat. Choices are well done, medium, medium rare and rare. You can also choose to use the preset options.
- Clear and easy to read digital numbers on backlit touchscreen.
- Pre-programmed pre-set temperatures for many types of meat, poultry and fish.
- Customizable manual temperature setting also available.
- Countdown cooking timer with easy to hear alarm.
- 3 feet 3 inch long heat resistant steel cable with 7 inch meat probe can be left in oven or bbq with the door or lid shut.
- Temperature readout is clear fast and accurate.
This thermometer is very useful addition to the kitchen gadgets – works extremely well and is both accurate and reliable. Good for chicken, You can pretty much use it every time and its alright for beef. The oven thermometer has a big LCD digital display and it can be set to show temperature reading in both Centigrade as well as Fahrenheit.
- Allows for use as a multi-function cooking thermometer and timer.
- Wide temperature range of 0°C – 300°C/32°F – 572°F.
- The meat thermometer probe is stainless steel with a 1m long braided mesh cable.
- The strong magnets on the back allow your food thermometer to be attached to the oven while cooking and then stored on a fridge or any other metal surface when not in use.
This thermistor thermometer with a timer has an impressive reading range, from -58 to 572°F, and the probe can withstand up to 700°F. At temps reading under 248°F it is accurate plus or minus 1.8°F. The unit incorporates a large, easy to read LCD display with user selectable backlight and a loud audible alarm with adjustable volume to 92dB – ideal for busy professional kitchens. The ChefAlarm also includes a calibration function allowing the user to fine-tune the accuracy of the thermometer (±2.2 °C). It has a countdown timer and an alarm with four volume settings, the loudest of which is about as loud as a passing subway train. You can also set the alarm to go off when the probe hits either a high or low temp. The low temp alarm can he handy if you use this to read your pit temp on a long cook.
- includes backlight & calibration function
- suitable for commercial & home kitchens
- adjustable volume to 92dB audible alarm
- max/min temperature display
- easy to read LCD display
Handy tool. Face is a little small for these old eyes to see though the oven glass, but that also means it doesn’t take up too much room, and the hanging hook means you can suspend it in different place in the oven. Specially designed for use with high heat applications such as broiling, it measures oven temperatures with precise accuracy, ensuring best culinary results. Made with a durable laboratory glass lens that resists cracking and breaking, this oven thermometer has an unusually wide temperature range of 100 to 750 F/ 50 C to 400 C.
- Measures temperatures from 100 to 750F/50 to 400C
- Large 5 cm dial with red indicator needle provides useful cooking zones
- Wide base and integrated hook allow it to be placed anywhere in the oven
- Made of commercial grade stainless steel with durable laboratory-quality glass lens